2.20.2011

Ice Skating: not for the awkward

Rexburg has a new ice rink. When I drove past it the other day, I thought it may be fun to go to some time with my roommates or FHE group. Ice skating, as an abstract idea, seems like very idyllic and wholesome wintry fun, like building snowmen in scarves and mittens.



However, I then remembered how horribly I ice skate. I have no balance, and have the coordination skills of a lanky 9 year old at best. I remembered an incident at our local Ice-O-Plex in California (always the best birthday location ever, by the way. Thanks mom!) I was in junior high, and remember feeling like my feet were strapped into tiny slippery death machines. I had to grip the wall desperately even though I was 14. On my third awkward solitary lap of the rink, a bratty little girl that couldn't have been more than seven was zipping by in a rhinestone encrusted ice dancer outfit. As she passed me, she said something over her shoulder along the lines of, "You're not so good at this, are you?" and then flew off at record speed in her stupid aqua green getup. It crushed my pride.

I don't think I'll be going to the Rexburg ice rink anytime soon.

4 comments:

Kristine said...

We made the mistake of going ice skating for a date night once. It didn't end well. Everything started out happy, but Alex didn't realize that when a girl does on a date with a guy, she actually wants to spend time with him. So, when I fell, he (oblivious to it all) continued on while I sat there looking like an idiot. I guess assuming he'd help me up was a bit much...

Needless to say, my skating adventure ended abruptly. The date ended abruptly. And ice skating has been out of the question since.

Tami said...

Ha ha ha. Oh that is funny.

itsjustmom said...

This picture reminded me of the Kristie Yamaguchi drawings you drew when you were 4 or 5. I've got to dig them up. :)

Tami said...

Ha ha ha! I was so into drawing ice skaters. I drew almost as many of them as I drew mermaids or disney posters.